Welcome visitor!

We, the diligent workers of N. Tep Enterprises welcome you with open arms and well wishes.

N. Tep Enterprises is dedicated to bringing you the finest of products be it from our Cryptozoology department, courtly intrigue or our resident artists.

Please, browse and enjoy.

Friday, February 12, 2010

My desk.

In my college years I had the fortune of having a studio.  

I went to the Cleveland Institute of Art and was the last of the five-year BFA students. And I was in sculpture which meant my studio was the size of most Manhattan single-room apartments.  And in my fifth year, I had a desk that I worked at, and another table that hung out in my studio because no one else wanted it.  It was my storage space and became a cluttered alchemist's table for a project (where I dragged it out into the display spaces with a pile of notes and all manner of cool junk I accrued).

I used it to display a spread of my work during an open house.  It was fun and I got free Great Lakes Brewing Co. ale.  I miss metal working.
This was "The Box of Infinite Probability."
My argument to this one was based entirely on the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, and Schrödinger's cat.  It contained anything and everything.  Hey, since you can't open it and look, you can never know.
The helmet was for my BFA room.  It was designed after the Arakkoa in Warcraft.
I displayed it on my horse skull (yes, I have a horse skull.  no, you shouldn't be surprised) as it was sized right and armour needs to protect something.
Some "alchemystic" tools I forged.  The crook became a fireplace poker my father uses and the long blade went into the BFA room.  I still need to do a project with these...
Pickled punks.  These will get a single post eventually.  Suffice to say, I love things in jars.
Cast cement idols.  They were designed with the intent of being roughly palm sized and each have a surface area that was made for my thumb, to be used as worry-stone type objects.

Everything here was in someway related to a narrative, my entire studio was something between an artist's studio and mad scientist's lab.  It was great...

I think of being an artist as something like an alchemist, really.  Trying to find why and what through experimentation...making works that are outside of yourself, that contribute to society...fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unwanted comments will be redacted.
Unwanted commenters will be expunged.

Examine the archives

Contributors