Welcome visitor!

We, the diligent workers of N. Tep Enterprises welcome you with open arms and well wishes.

N. Tep Enterprises is dedicated to bringing you the finest of products be it from our Cryptozoology department, courtly intrigue or our resident artists.

Please, browse and enjoy.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Garm: The Surgeon



So, I like stories.  I like working within the weird and mystical.  So I've made a cult or two on paper (hopefully nothing carried over to real people).  My favorite is the anarchistic Children of Xyn.  They worship entropy and decay, reveling in the gradual destruction of all things.
They have a hierarchy, sort of.  There's the leader, calling himself Ragnarok and using those that follow him as puppets.  And then there are the surgeons, the few who aren't held in thrall by Ragnarok.

Garm is their leader.  He's distinguished himself from the others by proving very (very) hard to kill.  I've sculpted him twice.  Once in a (just under) life-sized ceramic bust.  Once in full-body on an action figure scale.
That one is about nine inches tall.  He hangs out on my desk.

The whole idea behind these guys came from something I drew in high school, and it evolved from there.  These gas-mask wearing monstrosities with broken bio-mechanical parts.  This spawned into an elaborate character driven idea and a fascination with possession resulting in the cult as I currently imagine it.  I sort of imagine Garm as the Grima Wormtongue of the cult, the treacherous right hand man of the king.

Garm is also the name of the hound that guards Hel (the goddess and the underworld in Norse myth) and in some descriptions I've found, its front is always wet and red with blood.  Fitting for a surgeon whose duty is outfitting the willing and unwilling with weapons that don't fit their biology, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unwanted comments will be redacted.
Unwanted commenters will be expunged.

Examine the archives

Contributors